Sunday 3 August 2008

Don't talk Rubbish

John on NB Marmaduke is busy blogging at the moment about their first lengthy trip since rescuing Marmaduke from the hands of an unscrupulous boat builder. They are beginning to feel their boating feet and enjoy themselves and good luck to them.
In the latest episode John talks rubbish, or rather about both trying to dispose of rubbish and, picking up OTHER peoples rubbish. A parallel this morning is that Joe came in from walking the boys bearing a carrier bag containing the remains of some scrote's Big Mac meal which had been cast aside on our front lawn. WHY? I could only have been thrown from a car. Why not take it home and put it in a bin?

I recall it was drummed into my brothers and me when we were children that we were NOT to drop litter, 'give it to me, put it in your pocket, where's the wrapper, put it in the bag, PICK THAT UP NOW! It's like muscle memory now, I could no more drop litter than.., well I just couldn't do it.


Seeing litter dropping makes me want to intervene, perhaps not the wisest course of action but the desire is still there. I remember standing outside my office in London in the days when I still smoked. It was lunchtime, it was very very hot and parked in a Discovery a few yards away was a man eating his lunch. As I glanced in the direction of the car, he leaned across, opened the passenger door and threw out his chip wrappings and a Coke bottle.

HEY!!! WHAT ARE YOU DOING? I shouted as I ran towards his car (was I mad?).

He scurried back across the passenger seat like a rat up a drainpipe closing the door as he went and gunned the engine of the Discovery but, leaving the window open.

As he started to pull away I had gathered up his litter, including the Coke bottle, and threw the whole lot back through the open window liberally splashing him and the car with the remnants of his drink. He burnt rubber to the end of the street.

I was so indignant I didn't even think about the possible repercussions of doing this, I just did it and truth told, I would probably be foolhardy enough to do it again if the occasion arose.

SO BIG MAC SCROTE, DON'T LET ME CATCH YOU DUMPING YOUR REFUSE ON MY LAWN AGAIN OR YOU WILL CATCH THE WRATH OF A VERY ANGRY OLD BAT!

No comments: