Saturday 30 January 2010

KKKKnackered!!!


A ten mile walk and 23 locks so I think I am entitled to be feeling just a wee bit k..knackered.  The sharp frost this morning had left the towpaths solid so no mud to deal with thankfully but of course the canal was also frozen again.  Off we went though, Caxton following the dogs and I and mashing the ice as she went.


Arriving at Shrewley Tunnel, Caxton disappeared into the depths of the earth and the dogs and I headed up the horse tunnel which climbs up from the canal cutting through a seperate tunnel on to the top of the rise, crosses a road and wanders off down a farm track until it drops back down into the cutting and rejoins the canal.

I just had to snap this notice.
Hello cyclists, it's official, I am MORE IMPORTANT THAN YOU!!! No more leaping into an adjacent ditch to allow you to speed past me, through me, or at me. Well that is the theory anyway.
We arrived at the top lock of the Hatton flight, 21 locks spread out below us and a water tap that was frozen.  Joe had passed a boat that wanted to know if we were going the flight,  we were, so Barry and Sue of Nb Esther opted to join us in the adventure.  We soon got into a rhythm and managed the 21 locks in 3 hours 20mins which was pretty good for a couple of puny middle aged lock wheelers!

 


Everybody photographs this so why shouldn't I?

We are now moored in Warwick, slobbed in front of the box/PC, digesting a homemade veg lasagne and a bottle of claret, so until tomorrow...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oooh, where in Warwick are you moored? We'd be interested to know how peaceful it was.....

Sue, Indigo Dream

Nb Yarwood said...

Hi Sue
We are opposite Kate Boats paint dock just Bri 49. I asked a couple of Policemen who were walking the towpath if it was safe to moor here overnight. They were a bit taken back, "Of course!" they replied. No problems, no noise or disturbance at all and a M&S food store at hand as well!
Lesley

Robert Salnick said...

The picture of th Shrewley Tunnel is absolutely stunning! You have an artist's eye.

bob

Nb Yarwood said...

Hi Bob
Thank you very much for the compliment, I will remember to leave my specs off more often...
Lesley