Tuesday 6 April 2010

They're Out!

The holiday boaters were out with a vengence this weekend and I was more than happy to assist with locks, even when a 'crew' of five or more stayed on board while Jill and I did all the work: did my smile slip, no, not a bit.  I really don't feel the need to refer to happy holiday makers as 'idiots' like some.  Our first taste of  boating was as hire boaters some twenty odd years ago and we loved it, we were totally smitten and if the finances had allowed it we would have been on the CUT in a trice - but of course like the majority of people, the money was not there and we had to wait for our retirement and our dream.  
So when I had to grab the centre line of a hire boat that had gone awol across the cut while the crewman was watching the lock and then walk back down the cut to organise a 'queue' out of the melee that was developing for the lock (our boats were waiting to go down) it was a real pleasure.  I would hate to pour cold water on someone's holiday; who knows they may be a new convert and in twenty years they might just  be venturing on their new life on the canals and I will be but a memory...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a fantastic post! I think that some boat owners are all too quick to criticise the "hire boater". A little help and pleasantness goes a long way. I think that manners breed manners! We have our own boat but sadly not enough money to be able to continuously cruise. We just about managed to keep our heads above water with the costs, but one day......may be!

Nb Yarwood said...

Thank you Anon and may 'one day' come soon for you!
Lesley

Anonymous said...

I hope to be on the cut sooner rather than later (6 yr plan). I will be a newbie, so I thank you for your good patience and cheerful civility. When I get there, I'll stand you a cuppa or pint-your choice!
Jaqueline USA

Nb Yarwood said...

Hi Jaqueline
If we are still out here in six years time mine will be a pint please!!
Lesley

Halfie said...

I'd like to echo Anon's/Jaqueline's comment. Well done, Lesley!

Nb Yarwood said...

Thank you Halfie.
Lesley